Friday 9 September 2016

Month by Numbers: broken & lifted

7 faves...

1.) One of the most important people in my life had received from pretty life-changing news, and had to have some equally as life-changing surgery. What we thought was a success and left us feeling relieved, quickly and suddenly changed and turned into heartbreak, uncertainty and a lot of waiting around. Thankfully, the NHS are amazing, as if my tiny but tough mum. I've never been so emotionally and physically drained and tired, and also so proud and happy how close and loving my family are. 

2.) Well, when it rains sometimes it really likes to fucking pour it down doesn't it? Within the same month with the absolute shit-show that happened with my mum, I had a second shit-show of a break up. Which happened pretty suddenly, pretty much out of my control and ironically, after a bit of a turning point of us as a couple. No, we weren't together for that long. No, I'm not heartbroken, just left with a bit of a heavy heart. But I don't think he or anyone but I will ever really know how much it actually took my to let my guard down and commit my feelings to someone. But I am - as I knew I will be - fine! Because, you always am in the end aren't you?

3.) And you know part of the reason I know I'll always be right as rain eventually? Because I have amazing and caring people in my life that I'm lucky enough to call my friends. Friends who know you're having a pretty fucking rubbish time that's dampened even your usual Disney-esque optimistic persona. And they send you surprise presents in the post and meet up with you with roses to keep your life rosy and remind you to be brave, even if sometimes you don't feel it.

4.) Apart from the major ups and downs, there's still the constant love and support of my amazing family and friends, who turned what could have been an August spent moping around, into a month filled with new memories that'll make me smile.

5.) I love books. No biggie, I know. But if you know how much I resented reading, you'll get what a big deal it is for me that I've tapped into my love of reading. I tend to find myself reading a lot of non-fiction from American comedians and my absolute goddess, Caitlin Moran. But I completely fell in love with the characters and story of The Rosie Project. I gasped, I rooted for them, I was invested and I whizzed through that book and was sad when I realised I'd reached the end. But never fear! The sequel, The Rosie Effect, is on it's way in the post already, and I can't wait to be obsessed once more.

6.) As much as I love London, growing up in suburbia and being from that there up North, I really bloody miss some greenery. And yeah i know, there's parks and fields upon fields in The Big Smoke as well, but it usually involves a significant amount of travel. Enter, what is essential a big-ass greenhouse filled with enough plants until your heart's content. Both in central London, if you're aching for some leaves and nature, head to The Barbican Conservatory or The Sky Garden. You can thank me later.

7.) I'm a BIG Friends fan (who isn't eh?) so, wondering around Monica's apartment discussing Nestle tollhouse recipes, singing Smelly Cat at Central Perk and flipping up the barca-loungers in Joey and Chandler's was enough to make my little fangirl heart flutter. And if that wasn't enough, with cocktails named 'Pivot', well, what more could you ask for eh? 

5 tweets...

1.) It's been the longest weekend & emotionally draining. But the Lo family assemble, get through it & ofc eat lots ❤️
2.) Recovering from laughing in stitches from a meeting where we & my editor ended up doing renditions of X Factor songs...I love my job 🎤

3.) Can retailers stop rolling out AW16 pieces already please? I'm not ready for knitwear & my legs to be prisoned by tights again, NOT YET! 🙅🏻🍂
4.) Can more commuters dance to their music? It'd make my low-key bodyrolls & subtle shoulder shimmies more acceptable💃🏻
5.) My body this morning: "Here! Have some hiccups along with your hangover so you think you could potentially vom every 5 seconds!" 😷 

3 songs...

1.) Becky Hill - False Alarm
This makes me fell all a bit emosh - especially when I'm talking to the station early in the moring - and i can't quite put my finger onto why that is. It makes me feel like anything could be round th corner and anything's possible if you just give it a chance. Ironic really, given that I got into this song during mentioned break-up, when the lyrics are all about finding someone when you didn't expect to...

2.) Tom Odell - Concrete
This song makes me feels things that I didn't know were possible by a song. It makes me feel nostalgic, a yearning, sadness, hope and almost even, dare I say it, aroused?! all at once. Oh and that build up in intensity towards the end? I don't know how you do it Mr. Odell, but hates off to you sir. 

3.) Imani Williams- Don't Need No Money 
Ok, enough of all the lovey dovey songs, with an upcoming holiday with the girls, with lots of dancing and drinks planned, a party tune and needed and this fitted the criteria perfectly. Cue the killer moves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment